Dr. Harold W. Perkins
Dr. Harold W. Perkins served as CEO of Penn State Berks from 1959-1984 and was instrumental in laying the foundation for the campus. He helped the school grow from its small beginnings in the Wyomissing Polytechnic Institute buildings to a new, expanded campus location, wehre the college stands today.
The Student Center was named in his honor shortly after he stepped down in 1984, and though he officially "retired," his passionate involvement with the campus never ended. He continued to serve in many capacities, most recently as the honorary chair of For the Future: The Campaign for Penn State Students, which he continued until his passing in October 2010.
With construction completed in the Summer of 2012, the Perkins Plaza honors the memory of Dr. Harold W. Perkins and also provides a beautiful gathering place for students, faculty, staff, and community members. The Plaza includes outdoor seating, a water feature, and most importantly, a clock carillon --for many years a passion of our first campus CEO.
We are seeking to raise $500,000 in private fundraising for this beautiful and very special campus addition. Gifts of all sizes are welcome for this project, and gifts of the following amounts will be recognized by various naming opportunities within the plaza itself.
Individual plaque recognizing the donor:
- Clock Carillon --$100,000
- Water Feature/Fountain --$75,000 (committed by Berks students)
- Eight Pergola Columns --$25,000 each
Group plaque posted within the Plaza recognizing gifts at the following levels:
- Gold Donors ($10,000)
- Silver Donors ($5,000)
- Bronze Donors ($1,000)
All gifts are tax deductible and also count toward For the Future: The Campaign for Penn State Students at Penn State Berks. Gifts can be made payable to "Penn State Berks." For more information, contact the Office of Development, PO Box 7009, Reading, PA 19610, 610-396-6056.
Dedication CeremonyFriday, October 19, 2012, 1:00 p.m.
- Giving to Penn State