Completion of coursework leads to a demonstration of the knowledge of the fundamental concepts & practices of English as a Second Language instruction/service.
About the Program
- A five-course program for educators who wish to be ESL-certified instructors in Pennsylvania
- Approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education for ESL Program Specialist Certificate
- Apply courses toward a Master's degree in Teaching English as a Second Language
- Pennsylvania Act 48
- Penn State is an Act 48-approved provider
Who Should Attend?
Teachers who hold a Pennsylvania Instructional I or Instructional II certificate and currently have an ESL teaching assignment or desire one in the future.
During the academic year, classes are held over a two-weekend format. In the summer, classes are held during the day for one week.
Penn State Berks
Classes are held on the campus of Penn State Berks. For more information, e-mail Walt Fullam or call him at 610-396-6223.
Classes are also held at Lebanon School District. E-mail Fred Shattls for information about classes held at Lebanon.
Application and Registration Process
First, interested applicants must apply for the ESL certificate at http://ed.psu.edu/c-and-i/certificates/esl.
Second, register for a course by:
- Completing the course registration form on the ESL Course Schedule page, or
- Fax 610-396-6226, or
- E-mail completed form to Kathy Cavanaugh
For more information about registration, call Kathy at 610-396-6220.